What are the requirements for a trucking company?
A commercial motor vehicle is designed or used to transport passengers or property and has the following characteristics:
- Has a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,001 or more pounds
- A trailer with a GVWR of more than 10,000 pounds if the gross combination weight rating (GCWR) is 26,001 pounds or more
- Is designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver; or is designed to transport more than 10 passengers, including the driver, and used to transport students under the age of 21 years to and from school
- Any size vehicle that is used in the transportation of any material that requires hazardous materials placards or any quantity of a material listed as a select agent or toxin in 42 CFR 73.
Transporting Within State Lines
Register with the Connecticut Department of Revenue Services for the Motor Carrier Fuel Tax (REG-3MC). *Please note that the IFTA (International Fuel Tax Agreement) registration is not needed if you are transporting goods within the state border only. Contact the agency: 1-800-382-9463 (Connecticut only) or 860-297-5962 or https://portal.ct.gov/drs
Transporting Across State Border
- Register with the Connecticut Department of Revenue Services for the International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA). *Please note that the Motor Carrier Road Tax registration is not needed if you are transporting goods across the state border. Contact the agency: 1-800-382-9463 (Connecticut only) or 860-297-5962 or https://portal.ct.gov/drs
- The Unified Carrier Registration Program applies to operations involving trucks and busses that travel interstate, involved in international commerce, or if you make the arrangements for the transportation of cargo and goods. Contact the agency: 860-263-5281 or https://portal.ct.gov/dmv
- Obtain a Certificate to Carry Goods Out-of-State application from the Federal Highway Administration and Office of Freight Management by calling 1-800-832-5660. Visit: ops.fhwa.dot.gov/freight.
All Trucking Businesses
- Obtain a commercial driver's license (CDL) from the Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles. Contact the agency: 1-800-842-8222 or https://portal.ct.gov/dmv
- If transporting hazardous waste in Connecticut, contact at the Connecticut Department of Energy & Environmental Protection at 860-424-3366 or www.ct.gov/deep
- Transporting oversized/overweight vehicles requires permitting through the Connecticut Department of Transportation. Information regarding the escort car and flag men is included in the regulations. Contact the agency: (860) 594-2878 or https://portal.ct.gov/dot
- Also obtain a flashing light permit from the Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles. Contact the agency: 1-800-842-8222 or https://portal.ct.gov/dmv
- Moving companies must obtain a Household Goods Certificate through the Connecticut Department of Transportation. Contact the agency at 860-594-2865 (860) 594-2865 https://portal.ct.gov/dot
- According to the Connecticut Department of Revenue Services, transportation services are not subject to the Connecticut sales tax.
- The Connecticut Commercial Driver's Manual contains a wealth of information on obtaining a CDL license.
- U.S. DOT Number application and FAQs