CERC +1 (860) 571-7136

Business Entity Formation/Management

How do I dissolve (close) my business?

The following information is a guideline for dissolving (closing) an existing business.

  • Secretary of the State
    860-509-6002 or crd@ct.gov

    Dissolving a corporation, limited liability company, limited liability partnership or limited partnership requires the business to file Articles of Dissolution

    This step can be completed online or using the paper forms for the respective entity type  - Go to the Forms and Fees section of the agency's website to access appropriate forms.

  • Connecticut Department of Revenue Services
    1-800-382-9463 (Connecticut only), 860-297-5962 or drs@po.state.ct.us

    The agency provides details on how to notify them about closing a business.

  • Connecticut Department of Labor

    Compose a letter stating the reason for change, include registration information. Fax to 860-263-6567 or mail to Attention: Employer Status, Connecticut Department of Labor, 200 Folly Brook Boulevard, Wethersfield, CT 06109.

  • Internal Revenue Services (IRS)

    Instructions are availabe online or contact the agency directly for further instructions.  Online select Business and then Closing a business

  • Additional Agencies
    Each agency handles changes differently. For more information contact the individual agencies directly.